Energy metabolism is in charge of producing biological energy, in the form of ATP, which is essential for all vital functions. For example, feeding, breathing, defending against diseases, ageing, reproducing, growing… This applies equally to humans, animals and plants. In other words, all living beings need cellular energy to live. Energy is only stored to a limited extent and must be produced continuously to be healthy.
Why analyse energy metabolism?
For one very simple reason, cellular energy is vital for all cellular functions. In the cell, mitochondria are the small factories that produce the necessary energy to stay healthy. However, with time and stress, the mitochondria weaken and produce less energy. As a result, deficient mitochondria produce free radicals (= oxidative stress) that are harmful to the epidermis, especially when they accumulate in excessive quantities. The cells are weakened by stress, which leads to an alteration of the epidermis. Numerous studies have shown that altered energy metabolism is one of the reasons for skin ageing and/or damage by harmful environmental factors.
Our R&D solutions can help you reveal the full effects of your active ingredients on cell vitality
This is why Elysia Bioscience develops new R&D solutions focused on cellular vitality and energy restoration. The aim is to demonstrate the effect of your active ingredients on cell viability in a simple and effective way.
Measuring cell viability is equivalent to measuring a balance between:
- Energy production (cellular vitality)
- Levels of ROS (a measure of oxidative stress)
- Cell membrane integrity (safety and cytotoxicity)
- Architecture of the mitochondrial network (energy restoration)
Studying the effect of your active ingredients on cellular energy is essential for the safe and effective development of your future products
- Reveal the energizing potential
- Objectivation active ingredients
- Determination of synergistic effects coupled with toxicity assessment
- Precise and fast analysis
- Assessment of energy production
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Get scientific data